stones taught me to fly
love, it taught me to lie
life taught me to die
so it's not hard to fall
when you float like a cannonball

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Tastiness - Part 2

I knew that there were a few more items that I hadn't mentioned two entries ago.

I only have some "not-as-tasty-anymore" foods in mind.

Recently Kev and I were roaming in Fairview and decided to buy a snack from the food court. The first thing that came to mind for me was good ol' saltiness. The next thing that came to mind was Pretzelmaker. I remember, back in the day, when I used to buy two for $5. It might've been a promotion? I think they cost more than that nowadays. After much deliberation (and after being forced to pick the flavour/variety/restaurant/, like any and all other situations - LOL!), I decided on "regular" - butter and salt. Hrm, maybe the pretzel wasn't fresh? Maybe it didn't have enough butter? I'm not quite sure. All I knew was that it really wasn't tasty at all. I was expecting a soft, chewy, salty, buttery, melt in your mouth-ish piece of twisted carbs...........NOT, well, what I actually bit into. Hmmm....maybe it's because I've moved on and there are tastier things in life (like LAMB!!).

Speaking of Fairview Mall, one of my favourite places to buy a snack at when I was a kid was the Baskin Robbins. It's only about 2-3 units down from Pretzelmaker, come to think of it. Anyway, the simplicity of vanilla and/or chocolate ice cream never used to wow me like it does nowadays (as they complement other dessert items SO VERY WELL!). My favourite flavour, up until Gr.9 or 10-ish even, had been Jamocha Almond Fudge. There was something about the almonds, and the fudge swirl, with the coffee/vanilla-y-ish ice cream that made it good. The past few times that I've had it.........bleh. It just gradually grew to be far too sweet after a few spoons. Baskin Robbins' chocolate blasts are ALSO gross. I'm warning everyone now! They're not good. Their chocolate shakes are too sweet too! Well, at least the one I had in Kingston was. If you want a GOOOOOD chocolate shake you should go to Ben & Jerry's. I've had one from Wasaga Beach, and two from the Ben & Jerry's ice cream shop on Queen Street where Tea Shop 168 is. DON'T get bubbletea from 168 though - their drinks are FAR from spectacular! Support TenRen's, even if it's overpriced. Their drinks are goooooood!

Last, but not least, are McDonald's hash browns. I've certainly had my fair share of McDonald's food in this lifetime. Even back in the days of St.Tim's, when my dad would bring Joe/Karen/Loretta/I lunch on his days off........McDonald's it was, or Pizza Hut, or Harvey's. That's when the sandwiches at McDee's weren't the size of NOTHINGNESS and ONE meal actually filled me (mind you, I also ate significantly less back then, but that's besides the point). Everyone knows that their sandwiches have shrunk in size - stupid cutbacks! Anyway, it's been quite a while since I last ate a non-breakfast item from them. I don't usually eat their lunch items. However, I still have a weakness for their Sausage 'n Egg McMuffin. That's not the focus of this paragraph though (yea, I should really get to the point). McDonald's hash browns are what I need to talk about. Those crispy, greasy little buggers used to taste better. When smothered in ketchup and sprinkled with a bit of pepper, they were like greasy golden heaven melting in my mouth. Now they just taste like a greasy heart attack in my mouth. Oh well. I guess that's good enough reason not to eat them anymore.

And so concludes my post on food, which I talk about way too often on this blog. Jaded, I'm sure you'd second that. Heh!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best ice cream flavour in the world is bubblegum. If you've never had it, you must try it. As for bubble tea, I've also been told to go to Ten Ren's and not 168, and I've been quite happy with it. Now as for McDonald's, I haven't had it in a long time. I've never had the hash browns, but I really love the apple pies! Alright, there's my opinion, peace.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:55:00 PM

 
Blogger Kevin said...

So yea, McD's is gross, Ben and Jerrys is awesome. 168 is gross and ten rens is good but expensive. Good bbtea is that place in Waterloo! :D But its far :(

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:49:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home