stones taught me to fly
love, it taught me to lie
life taught me to die
so it's not hard to fall
when you float like a cannonball

Thursday, May 20, 2004

Delayed itching

At first, thinking that I had been extremely fortunate, I happily exclaimed upon return that I had not been bit by any mosquitos and/or flying insects. Little did I know that, heh, I would soon have to eat my words.

I was sitting at dinner telling my family all about the wonders of getting lost in the boonies at 1:30 a.m., when an itch began to irritate me just above my right ankle. It was nothing uncommon, so I leaned down to scratch it. On I went, continuing to tell my tale. Less than two minutes later, the itch returned. This time, as I reached for my ankle, a tiny and what seemed to be semi-swollen bump was felt. I had discovered my first mosquito bite from the trip.

Soon enough, I was kept busy relieving another itch on my left shin. Then another on the left side of my neck, and yet another near my right shoulder.

I really should have worn bug spray. What was I thinking? There were flying insects swarming around me from left and right. You would think that at least ONE of them would be a mosquito??

Fortunately, I wasn't bit by a black fly. Robertha tells me that it's quite the painful experience.

Now the question is: why did it take me so long to discover these bites?

Long-sleeved clothing it is from this point on. Ha. Who am I kidding? Pscht. Summer's here - if not, just around the corner! I shall celebrate it the proper way; minimal clothing and all the bites I can endure!! =)
____________
Okay, maybe I'll take back that last part, or soon enough I'll deplete my local pharmacy's supply of calamine lotion faster than you can say "wha-pah!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home